Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sesame-Vegetable Lo-Mein

I super need to buy a wok! Not sure how I have been vegan this whole time without one, actually! This recipe is worth buying one, too. Like all stir fry, the hardest part is the veggie prep. But then at the end you realize how it was ALL worth it! To start, I generally toast up a load of sesame seeds. Personally, I love them and use more than 2 TBSP...but that is just me! I think that they make the dish.

1/2 package of vermicelli (I prefer whole wheat)
3 TBSP dark sesame oil, divided
2 cups fresh sugar snap peas
1 large bell pepper, sliced into strips
2 carrots, shredded
4 green onions, cut thicker at a diagonal
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 TBSP water
2 TBSP sesame seeds, toasted


Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. While cooking, generally I go ahead and cook the veggies so that everything is ready at the same time. Heat TWO TBSP of the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium high for about 1 minute. Add ALL the veggies, garlic, ginger, and red chili pepper and stir fry for 5-7 minutes or until crisp tender. Stir in the soy sauce and 1 TBSP of water. Get two HUGE tongs or tossing agents and add the pasta, tossing until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and add in the remaining TBSP of oil and sesame seeds. Taste and season as needed with soy. Mmmm..

No comments: