Sunday, August 5, 2012

Garden Ratatouille


Speaking of ways to use up all the spring/summer garden veggies..... Ratatouille! So sorry to everyone who has been asking for this recipe, but Ive been off getting hitched! :) This stuff is a crowd pleaser....delicious if I may say so myself. Case in point, every person Ive made it for has been asking me to get it up on the site ASAP. Go get ya' some!!

Tip: cut all your veggies up prior to beginning cooking. Also, aim for all the veggies, except tomatoes, to be diced up to about the exact same size for even cooking. This is all 100% fresh!

3 TBSP olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup small diced yellow onion
2 cups of small diced eggplant
1/2 tsp thyme
2 cups small diced red, green, or yellow bell pepper (I like to use a variety)
2 cups zucchini squash (or any variety of squash in your garden)
1 1/2 cup Roma tomato, peeled and diced
1 TBSP basil, thinly ribbon cut
1 TBSP parsley, minced
Salt and pepper

You cook this dish in phases, all particular to required cooking times. Additionally, I tend to season a little at every layer and then more liberally to taste at the end.

Start by sauteeing your onions and garlic in olive oil until carmelized, about 7 minutes. Next, add the eggplant and thyme, about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers and squashes, cooking another 5 or so minutes. Finally, add the tomatoes, basil, and parsley, cooking the last 5 minutes. Cook more or less until a good consistency is achieved. Season and enjoy! I serve this solo, over pasta, over lettuce, or over rice. Add to an egg eater's omelet for rave reviews....

1 comment:

Cousin Matt said...

The ratatouille looks great. My neighbor brings me over fresh veggies from his garden. I am going to give this one a shot. I'll let you know if my girls like it.