Friday, January 28, 2011

Thai Curried Chickpeas

My dad gave me this pressure cooker last Christmas, certain that it was the perfect vegan gift. I, not really knowing about these crazy contraptions, tucked the thing away, oddly curious and a little scared of the steam trap. I think that I had these cartoon visions of the steam not escaping enough and basically blowing up in my face as I released the lid.

The good news is that really doesnt happen....AND now that I have started using it I DO think that it is God's gift to the vegans!! These things are amazing!! So - forgive me if I get a little heavy on the pressure cooker recipes at the moment :)

This stuff is YUMMY and filling!! My new favorite meal is to serve this over a bed of brown rice and a lot of steamed kale...all together....mmmm....

Tool Needed: PRESSURE COOKER!!
1 bag of chickpeas, soaked overnight and then some....maybe even 2 days! :)
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP mild or hot curry
3 cups light coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1"chunks
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, including liquid
1 5oz pkg of baby spinach
2 TBSP tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1/2 cup minced basil

Drain and rinse the chickpeas. In the cooker, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the curry and briefly saute for a few seconds until aromatic. Add the chickpeas, coconut milk, water, garlic, sweet potatoes, and tomatoes.

Lock the lid in place. Over high heat, bring to high pressure and then lower just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 18-20 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally, or place the pot under cold water for the quick-release method (cooling pot down quickly by the use of the water).

Remove the lid. If the chickpeas are not tender, replace the lid (without locking) and smmer until the chickpeas are done. If you soak for an extended time, this should not happen.

Add the soy sauce to taste and break up the sweet potatoes and stir to create a thick sauce. Stir in the spinach and simmer uncovered for 1 minute. Top with cilantro and basil (DONT forget the basil!! :) Serve over brown rice.

adapted from Austin American Statesman

No comments: