Thursday, July 31, 2008

SPICY Mexican Soup

I think that I've mentioned before just how much I love SPICY thing...and this satisfies that craving. This is actually the Weight Watchers Zero Point Mexican Soup believe it or not! I love things that make tons for me to freeze, and this is one of those dishes. Eating this soup makes me sweat...so that means it is GOOD! Add more of the vegetable amounts if you want...there is nothing specific about the quantities.

Spicy Mexican Soup

6 cups vegetable broth (I used 6 cups water and Better Than Bouillon)
14 ounces canned diced tomato, Mexican-style preferred
2 cups fresh green beans (start with 8 ounces, then trim and snap into bite-size pieces)
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 small zucchini (about 8 ounces before trimming)
1 cup tomatillo, cubed (start with about 4 ounces or 2 medium tomatillos)
1 poblano chili pepper, chopped
1 medium jalapeƱo, membranes and seeds removed, minced
1 red onion chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon fresh oregano (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)

2 roasted red peppers packed in water (they are jarred)
2+ tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (these are found in small cans in the 'Mexican' section and boy, and be careful, they are hot!!!! Adapt amount to what you can handle. 2 1/2 TBSP works for me

Salt to taste
2 tablespoons lime juice (from 2 limes)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat a large pot or Dutch oven on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the vegetables and spices (canned tomatoes through as oregano) as they're prepped. Add the broth when it's ready. Whiz the red peppers and chipotle pepper in a mini food processor and stir in. (I love mine that came with an immersion blender. Could you skip this step? Yes but do make sure to mash the chipotle pepper to distribute as finely as possible throughout the soup.) Cover and bring to a boil. (Because I used boiling water, the soup was just starting to boil when I added the last ingredients.) Once at a boil, partly uncover the soup, reduce the heat to maintain a slow simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in salt, lime juice and cilantro. Serve immediately.

No comments: