Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Warm Belly Curried Split Pea Soup

So...the only reason that this recipe came about was because I had some yellow split peas that had been in my pantry way too long and I was feeling sorry for them. Otherwise, this would never have been up my alley. Now that I have had it, I am about start trying unknown, otherwise dark alleys, more often! This soup is so incredibly hearty, creamy, and simple...but the key is the puree at the end!

2 TBSP vegan margarine
1 1/2 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup chopped carrots
Kosher salt and pepper
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb yellow split peas, rinsed and picked through
6 cups of vegetable broth
1 TBSP curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

Place the margarine in a large saucepan (4-6 qt) over medium low heat. Once it is melted, add the onion, carrot, and a generous pinch of salt. Sweat this mixture for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and sweat for 1-2 more minutes, making sure not to allow the garlic to brown.

Add the peas, broth, cayenne, and curry. Increase the heat to high and boil. Them reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook at a simmer until the peas are tender and not holding their shape (45-50 minutes). Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

DO NOT STOP THERE!!! Using an immersion blender and care, puree the soup to the desired consistency. If you do not have an immersion blender, I suggest allowing it to cool a little and pureeing it in batches in the blender. Personally, I like it completely pureed for maximum creaminess.

No comments: